2.08.2012

theme song

Do you remember the TV show Ally McBeal? I watched the whole series while I was in high school. My parents thought I was asleep already, at least, my mom thought I was asleep. I'm pretty sure my dad felt bad that my bedtime was so early and looked the other way most nights. Don't get me started on that whole bedtime thing, either.

Where was I? Oh, right. Ally McBeal. One of the fun quirks of that show was that some of the characters had their own "theme music" that would play in their minds during key moments, or times when they wanted to psych themselves up for one reason or another.

I can't really say that I always have my own theme song, but there are certain parts of my life that are represented by certain songs, to the point that I would have the songs in my head all of the time or I would play them when I wanted to encourage myself.

Right now, my theme song is from Florence + The Machine's newish album, Ceremonials, the song, "Shake it Out." I guess it's probably been on the radio a lot, I really don't know since I don't listen to the radio much besides NPR (I know, I know, I'm one of those people). The video's below, you can find the lyrics here. Firstly, I just like the song, it's well-written and the music is well done. I also like the concept behind the song - moving forward despite tough times, despite past regrets, and despite our own flaws that threaten to hold us back. Appropriate, no?



No comments:

Post a Comment